Monday, November 25, 2013

Law of Sin

FOLLOW UP QUESTION to

Thank you for answering so quickly. Let me give you details of what I'm thinking, Romans 7:14-25. Please explain of what Paul might be going through in his case. Cause it looks as it seems he is battling within himself. And as if he answers his battle by another verse at Romans 8:5-8. It's interesting to what Paul might be going through as regards to Romans 7:23. Please, I await for your thought which are found from the scriptures. 

MY REPLY:

Rom.7:14-25:
"For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. 22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin."

Paul was not speaking of continuing to serve the law of sin with his flesh. He was simply clarifying that if the flesh is served, the law of sin is obeyed. He directs us to use our mind, that we might serve the law of God instead. This interpretation is proven, if we see what Paul also said, at Rom.6:14,12,13...
"For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law ("of sin with the flesh" -Rom7:25), but under grace. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, 13 and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God."

Paul acknowledges that we all have a battle against sin within ourselves. But can a battle exist if there is no fight? The reason we do not give up, is because victory is possible. 
Otherwise, why fight? 
This is exactly the mentality of those who at heart, do not want to fight against the flesh with it's lusts. They would twist Paul's instructions as an excuse for loose conduct.
Regarding Rom.7:23...
"But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members."

The "members" Paul refers to is his flesh. The flesh (since Adam) is enslaved to sin. This is precisely why we can not allow that flesh to direct our steps. If we do, we remain in captivity to sin and death. If we wish to be set free from sin and death (and the law of our flesh), we must no longer walk according to it, letting it direct what we do. We must walk by spirit, letting IT direct our steps. If we do, we abandon the path of sin and death, for the path of righteousness and life. This choice is the whole purpose of Christ's teachings and ministry (John5:14; 8:11,12).

Regarding Rom.8:5-8, please read verses Rom.8:1,4,9,13. These clarify once again, that although Paul (like all of us) was born in sin, we seek a new birth in which we set our minds on the spirit, walk according to it, and continue to live by means of it.

The scriptures I already gave you have already answered your follow up question. If you read them again along with these new ones (and meditate on them); Paul's intentions and assertions should be clarified.

Love in Christ,

2 comments:

  1. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. I agree with your answers of the scriptures 100%. The scriptures benefit those who are enslaved by sin, it gives them comfort and hope that they too can conquer just as Christ Jesus conquered every test faced. Very thanks to how well you answered from the scriptures. May your light continue with you and shine upon the darkness parched of the people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I am pleased to hear that you felt that the reply was of benefit.
    Let us all pray that as many as possible will have light shine upon them.
    Blessings,
    Pearl

    ReplyDelete

Please share below, your thoughts about this post.

Additional Pages for Study (coming soon)